Monday, February 9, 2009

What I'm reading

A busy weekend means I didn't get this page up by its regular Friday deadline. But here is what I've been reading this week:

Justice and Witness Ministries
A big chunk of the sermon talks about the importance of Justice and Witness Ministries in the life of the UCC. This is their website, which does an admirable job explaining who they are, what they do, and the ways that their ministry truly is our ministry.

The Politics of Coming Out
The "Out in Scripture" Blog is another blog that I frequent often. It tends to err on the scholarly side (two of my former professors, Charles Allen and Holly Hearon on the editorial board) but offers an insightful take on the weekly lectionary texts from an LGBT perspective. This weeks analysis of the struggle between human agency and divine initiative is a great read.

Compassionate in Word and Deed
I don't just read blogs, scholarly texts, and denominational websites. Sometimes I read other people's sermons too! This is John R. Donahue's sermon from this past week. He is a professor of New Testament studies at the Jesuit School of Theology and Graduate Theological Union in Berkeley, California. He offers a great take on the text and its parallels in our modern world. A gutsy sermon and well worth the read.

The NBA All-Star Weekend
Come on! It is happening right here in Phoenix! The Valley of the Sun will become the center of the basketball universe! Of course I've been reading all about it...and you should be too!

No comments:

Post a Comment