Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Three Things from the Elders

Time to kick-off a running series on the blog called "Three Things".

After every board/council/group meeting I attend here at First Christian Church Scottsdale I'll post the three things you should know about the meeting (if you're curious where the list comes from, we brainstorm it together at the end of each meeting and then I report 'em here on the blog; occasionally with a silly picture like the one to the right...get it, three things!).

So here we go. The three thing you should know from the Elders Meeting on July 14, 2010 are:
  1. The Elders brought me up to speed on the visitation ministry of the church and the care needs of individual church members. From there we updated the visitation list. If you would like a visit or know someone who would like a visit (from the Elder, from the pastor, from both) please don't hesitate to let us know.
  2. In an effort to be nice to me the Elders are encouraging folks to wear their name tags at worship. As a visual learner, this really does help me. It is also pretty nice for visitors too, to be honest. And, if you don't wear a nametag then I am probably just going to call you Bob, since I'm guaranteed to be right about 50% of the time here at FCC Scottsdale!

  3. I shared my plans for my weekly schedule. I will use Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday for regular office hours, Friday I will write my sermon from my home office, Saturday will be a general catch-up day, and Sunday is our time to worship together! Mondays will serve as the "Frederick-Gray Family Day Off" (my wife, four-year-old son, and I all get the same day off) and then I'll repeat the pattern starting the next Tuesday. Other schedule notes include:

    • Wednesday Noon Prayer Time - Each Wednesday at Noon will be a special hour set aside to pray for our community...and everyone is welcome to join me! We will pray for the members on our church's prayer list, for the boards and committees that are meeting that week, for everyone we lifted up in prayer on the previous Sunday, and for any other prayer concerns that we have. The church that prays together stays together. Feel free to join me in my office Wednesday at noon for a special time of prayer!
    • Saturday Drop-In Office Hours - Starting in August, on the first and third Saturdays of each month I will have Drop-In Office Hours at the church. Recognizing that mid-week office hours don't work for everyone, we'll have a designated handful of hours twice a month where I will be available at the church office to meet with folks. We'll kick it off on Saturday August 7. More details to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment