Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Whiteboard: Hope Partnership

I normally use the Whiteboard to put up a picture that is related to what I'll be preaching on for this coming Sunday. This way I'll have a visual reminder all week long of what I am supposed to be working on. Since we tend to work on things several weeks in advance in the church office my biggest fear is that I'll get my Sundays mixed up and will spend all week writing the wrong sermon!

But this week, the Whiteboard has something different on it. 



You see, I'll be out of the pulpit this coming Sunday, and will be off at a Leadership Development/Congregational Vitality Event. This weekend is the official Kick-Off of Hope Partnership in Arizona. We've been talking about it for a while in the church, but just to recap: Hope Partnership is a new effort to bring renewed life, energy, and purpose to our existing Disciples churches. This will be an intentional two-year program of prayer, leadership development, best practices, study, mentoring, and working with our fellow Disciples congregations. Hope Partnership’s purpose is to empower courageous leaders as they guide the Church into life-giving expressions of ministry for this new era of God’s mission.

This weekend we begin our journey with Hope Partnership. 

First Christian Church Scottsdale is one of six Arizona Disciples congregations taking part in Hope Partnership. We are joined by Capilla del Sol, Community Christian in Marana, Foothills Christian Church, Saguaro Christian Church, and First Christian Church Tucson.

We have eight members of our congregation heading to the Kick Off Event this weekend: Rev. Judy and Bob Stall, Shirley and Bob Bruns, Carol Tidrow, Monica Case, Al Beasley, and myself. 

While we are away for the weekend I am asking folks to specifically pray for our team of representatives and all six participating Disciples congregations. As a people of faith we are firmly convinced that this process of vitality and renewal will only work if the entire thing is rooted in prayer, so I thank you in advance for your prayers both those weekend and throughout the two-year process. 

-----

For those folks who like to read The Whiteboard posts to learn a little something about this coming Sunday's worship service I have good news for you! While I am out of the pulpit this Sunday I am overjoyed to announce that our Pastor Emeritus the Reverend Don Jones will be bringing the sermon and the Praise Team will be leading us in some Gospel Sunday singing!

No comments:

Post a Comment