Thursday, July 3, 2014

Whiteboard: My Yoke is Easy


Naturally, on the last day before I leave for vacation the assigned lectionary reading for the morning would say, "Come to me, all you that are weary and are carrying heavy burdens, and I will give you rest."

No really, I promise it is the assigned gospel reading! I didn't pick it on my own!

I am looking forward to two weeks of vacation. I'll be visiting with family, celebrating my Mom's birthday, seeing old friends, and traveling throughout the Missouri, Oklahoma, and Indiana with my wife and my son. It will be a wonderful time of rest, re-cooperation, and re-connection.

But I'm also looking forward to diving in to this scripture reading on Sunday too. Christ is telling us some powerful truths here in Matthew 11:25-30 -- truths about the ways of the world, about the frustration of looking for meaning in all the wrong places, about the value of our lives, and about how he stands right beside us. That is what the "yoke" is all about, both on The Whiteboard and in the scripture text itself.

The sermon scripture isn't just a prelude to vacation this week, oh no. It is an invitation to journey with Jesus, to be yoked with Christ and work with him on a mission that is truly worth doing.

So come and join us this Sunday at FCC Scottsdale. Come all that are weary, all that are heavy burdened, all that are in need of a break and looking for a life worth living. Come join us as we worship and praise the Lord!

-------

Matthew 11:25-30
At that time Jesus said, ‘I thank you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and the intelligent and have revealed them to infants; yes, Father, for such was your gracious will. All things have been handed over to me by my Father; and no one knows the Son except the Father, and no one knows the Father except the Son and anyone to whom the Son chooses to reveal him.
‘Come to me, all you that are weary and are carrying heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me; for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.’

No comments:

Post a Comment