Thursday, January 21, 2010

Martin's Big Words

On the Sunday before the MLK Holiday, we built the worship service around a children's book that my wife and I bought for our son on his first MLK Day three years ago.

I used the book (and the actual quotes from the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. that frame the book) to guide my Sunday sermon. Which is to say, I preached without a manuscript. Thus, no page on the church's website where you can find it, and no Wordle rendering of the sermon this week.

Instead, I want to use this space to plug the book we built the service around: Martin's Big Words: The Life of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. by Doreen Rappaport with illustrations by Bryan Collier. It is an excellent resource, a wonderful story adorned with beautiful artwork. It is one of my son's favorite books, and one of my favorite things to read to him because, frankly, I want Henry to grow up in a world that is shaped by the big words of the Rev. Dr. King. And I want to believe in a church that continues to strive for justice and peace in the name of the God that inspired the Rev. Dr. King. Follow the link up above to learn more about the book and even purchase a copy for yourself or a young person in your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment