Thus the big 5-0 on the Whiteboard this week.
While I am away our newest member the Rev. Kevin Adams will fill the pulpit and deliver a sermon on the nature and importance of the Lord's Supper for us as Disciples of Christ. With the evocative title "What is the definition of 'Is'?" he'll be drawing from Matthew 26:26-29 where Jesus says, "This is my body, broken for you."
The 5-0 on the Whiteboard could just as easily signify the 50th Anniversary of the March on Washington, which happened half-a-century ago today. In commemoration of this historic event, here are a handful of resources about the March that I've been touched by:
- Voices of the March -- An audio history of The March on Washington. The "I was there section" of the same website has a message board filled with some of the amazing stories from the day.
- The Official Program of the 1963 March -- Click on "Larger Images" to the right of the picture to see the full image.
- Photo Essay of the March -- Images and stories from The March as captured in Life Magazine.
- Flashback: The March on Washington -- Great NPR story on The March
- This picture. And this one. And this one too.
- And of course, this video: