Thursday, April 21, 2011

Newsbrief: Holy Week

I was flipping through worship materials this week, when I found this.

It is an old hymn written by Barton Stone, one of the founders of what would become the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ). As soon as I read through it I wanted to share it with you all.

As we travel through Holy Week on our way to the victory of Easter Sunday, this hymn is Barton Stone’s answer to the question, “What should we learn from the cross?”

And his answer?

Well, his answer is in the very first line of the hymn, “Behold the love, the grace of God.”

Behold the love, the grace of God,
displayed in Jesus precious blood;
my soul’s on fire, it yearns to prove
the fullness of redeeming love.

The cross I view – O wondrous love!
My sins expire, my fears remove;
my native enmity is slain
I’m reconciled – I’m born again.

Our God is love – O, leap, my soul!
Let warm hosannas gently roll!
Love gave a Son to save our race,
and Jesus died through sov’reign grace!

What love has done, sing earth around!
Angels prolong the eternal sound!
Lo, Jesus bleeding on the tree!
There, there, the love of God I see!

Hope to see you on Maundy Thursday (Potluck at 6PM, Worship at 7PM) and Easter Sunday.

Yours in the journey, Rev. Brian

No comments:

Post a Comment