Thursday, August 11, 2011

Newsbrief: Market Uncertainty

Members of the Administrative Council and the Elders are used to the way that I like to end meetings.

I always ask, “What are the three things we want people to know about from this meeting?”

It is a communication technique that helps us to assemble our talking points, figure out what is important, and then get the word out. For me, the “Three Things” shapes the way I think and talk.

So, as big plunges in the Stock Market and the recent downgrade of the US credit rating have folks legitimately worried about global economic uncertainties and the ways they will hit home, here are the “Three Things” that I want you know about our church right now:
  1. The finances at the church are in good shape. We are fortunate as a church not to have any outstanding debt. We own all of our property outright and don’t have to worry about things like debt servicing expenses or fluctuating variable rates. Presently, our budget has lined up almost dollar for dollar with our actual expenses. Your generosity and support of our church has us in a good financial spot. Don’t get me wrong, we still need you to give! But rest assured that financially things are good at the church right now.

  2. The Pastor’s In-Reach Fund is available. You’ll remember that earlier this summer we launched the Pastor’s In-Reach Fund. This is a designated pool of money that is set aside for direct aid for church members who are in need of a one-time financial gift of up to $500. If folks find that they are suffering during these tough economic times, please know that your church family can help. Please contact me directly to find out more about the Pastor’s In-Reach Fund.

  3. My door is always open. If you are really shaken up by these economic downturns (or any other worries or concerns for that matter) please don’t hesitate to stop by the office and see me. Or drop me an email. Or give me a call. As your pastor, in times of difficulty and uncertainty I am here to support you, to be with you, to listen to you, and to pray with you. Let me know if you would like to get together.
As a people of faith we take solace in knowing that the love, mercy, and grace of God don’t bounce around like the stock market, but are steadfast and abounding. May the strength and compassion of our loving God be with you now and always.

Yours in the journey, Rev. Brian

No comments:

Post a Comment