Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Whiteboard: Full Week

A full week at the church makes for a full Whiteboard as well!



You can see the three things we have going on in the life of our church this week illustrated on the Whiteboard.

Front and center on the Whiteboard is Week of Compassion. After the Rev. Brandon Gilvin (Associate Director of Week of Compassion) brought us such a powerful message this past Sunday we cannot forget that we will continue receiving the Week of Compassion Special Mission Offering this coming Sunday as well. And yes, it is the same picture I drew up on the board last week! That is the advantage of the Whiteboard...sometimes you don't have to erase it!

In the upper left hand corner you'll see an illustration for Ash Wednesday. We will have our Ash Wednesday Worship Service at 7PM in the Sanctuary. It will be a traditional Ash Wednesday service with hymns and prayers and the imposition of ashes. I hope you can join us.

On the right hand side of the Whiteboard you'll see an illustration for this coming Sunday's worship service. It will be the first Sunday in Lent where we have two stories about God's promises. In fact, the entire season of Lent we will have scripture readings that draw on the covenant promises that God has made with God's people. This Sunday we will hear of God's covenant with Noah (not pictured on the Whiteboard) and of the ways that Christ Jesus stood on the promises of God in the face of his temptation in the wilderness. I hope to see you in worship on Sunday...and don't forget to bring your Week of Compassion Special Mission Offering!

-------

Genesis 9:8-17


 Then God said to Noah and to his sons with him, ‘As for me, I am establishing my covenant with you and your descendants after you, and with every living creature that is with you, the birds, the domestic animals, and every animal of the earth with you, as many as came out of the ark. I establish my covenant with you, that never again shall all flesh be cut off by the waters of a flood, and never again shall there be a flood to destroy the earth.’ God said, ‘This is the sign of the covenant that I make between me and you and every living creature that is with you, for all future generations: I have set my bow in the clouds, and it shall be a sign of the covenant between me and the earth. When I bring clouds over the earth and the bow is seen in the clouds, I will remember my covenant that is between me and you and every living creature of all flesh; and the waters shall never again become a flood to destroy all flesh. When the bow is in the clouds, I will see it and remember the everlasting covenant between God and every living creature of all flesh that is on the earth.’ God said to Noah, ‘This is the sign of the covenant that I have established between me and all flesh that is on the earth.’

 

Mark 1:9-15


In those days Jesus came from Nazareth of Galilee and was baptized by John in the Jordan. And just as he was coming up out of the water, he saw the heavens torn apart and the Spirit descending like a dove on him. And a voice came from heaven, ‘You are my Son, the Beloved; with you I am well pleased.’

And the Spirit immediately drove him out into the wilderness. He was in the wilderness for forty days, tempted by Satan; and he was with the wild beasts; and the angels waited on him.
Now after John was arrested, Jesus came to Galilee, proclaiming the good news of God, and saying, ‘The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God has come near; repent, and believe in the good news.’

No comments:

Post a Comment