Thursday, February 13, 2014

Whiteboard: Week of Compassion


It is always nice when one of our denominational partners does artistic work for me for the Whiteboard.

This week I've hung the official poster for Week of Compassion on my Whiteboard (okay, I confess, I drew the frame around it!).

Week of Compassion is the relief, refugee and development mission fund of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) in the United States and Canada. It seeks to equip and empower disciples to alleviate the suffering of others through disaster response, humanitarian aid, sustainable development and the promotion of mission opportunities.

Our Week of Compassion theme this year is "We are One" and is taken from John 17:20-26, which is Christ's prayer for all of those who will follow in his ministry. Which is to say, it is Christ's prayer for us, for all of those who work and minister and serve in his name. 

Here is a close-up of that poster and our theme. 


Week of Compassion formally kicks off this coming Sunday and wraps up the Sunday after. In worship we’ll share stories about the wonderful work that happens, quite literally, all over the world through Week of Compassion.

For a breakdown of how your Week of Compassion dollars are spent, click here
For Leader's Guides, Worship Materials, Children's sermon, and mission stories, click here
For a description of our Week of Compassion mission partners, click here
For a description of how Week of Compassion responds to disasters and emergencies, click here.

-------

John 17:20-26

‘I ask not only on behalf of these, but also on behalf of those who will believe in me through their word, that they may all be one. As you, Father, are in me and I am in you, may they also be in us, so that the world may believe that you have sent me. The glory that you have given me I have given them, so that they may be one, as we are one, I in them and you in me, that they may become completely one, so that the world may know that you have sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me. Father, I desire that those also, whom you have given me, may be with me where I am, to see my glory, which you have given me because you loved me before the foundation of the world. 
‘Righteous Father, the world does not know you, but I know you; and these know that you have sent me. I made your name known to them, and I will make it known, so that the love with which you have loved me may be in them, and I in them.’

No comments:

Post a Comment