Thursday, May 8, 2014

Whiteboard: The Sheepfold

This Sunday our scripture gives us some mixed metaphors.

On the one hand, Psalm 23 tells us that the Lord is our shepherd.

On the other hand, John 10:1-10 tells us that Jesus is the gate for the sheep.

While each of those metaphors shares something powerful about God, the one thing they both make abundantly clear is...that we are the sheep.



Kind of humbling, right?

Of all the animals in nature, they had to go with sheep?

Well, humility is a good sheep and, actually, being a sheep isn't all bad either.

Come join us for worship on the Fourth Sunday of Easter at First Christian Church Scottsdale to learn more about God, about ourselves, and about what it means to be a sheep!

-------

John 10:1-10 Jesus the Good Shepherd

‘Very truly, I tell you, anyone who does not enter the sheepfold by the gate but climbs in by another way is a thief and a bandit. The one who enters by the gate is the shepherd of the sheep. The gatekeeper opens the gate for him, and the sheep hear his voice. He calls his own sheep by name and leads them out. When he has brought out all his own, he goes ahead of them, and the sheep follow him because they know his voice. They will not follow a stranger, but they will run from him because they do not know the voice of strangers.’ Jesus used this figure of speech with them, but they did not understand what he was saying to them.

So again Jesus said to them, ‘Very truly, I tell you, I am the gate for the sheep. All who came before me are thieves and bandits; but the sheep did not listen to them. I am the gate. Whoever enters by me will be saved, and will come in and go out and find pasture. The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have life, and have it abundantly.
-------

Psalm 23 The Divine Shepherd

The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want.
He makes me lie down in green pastures;
he leads me beside still waters;
he restores my soul.
He leads me in right paths
for his name’s sake.

Even though I walk through the darkest valley,
I fear no evil;
for you are with me;
your rod and your staff—
they comfort me.

You prepare a table before me
in the presence of my enemies;
you anoint my head with oil;
my cup overflows.
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me
all the days of my life,
and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord
my whole life long.

No comments:

Post a Comment