Thursday, March 3, 2016

Week of Compassion Follow-up

{Editor's Note: On February 21, First Christian Church Scottsdale celebrated the Kick Off of Week of Compassion through our Sunday morning worship service. In my sermon that morning I highlighted Week of Compassion's life changing (and life saving) work with refugees. Unbeknownst to me, we had a first time visitor with us in worship that morning named Branka who is herself a refugee from the Bosnian Civil War in the 1990's. Branka and I spoke after service where she informed me that she has a poem about being a refugee that she will be sharing at a Toastmaster's International Event in April in Virginia. She shared that poem with us during Fellowship Hour after the service (side note: if you would like a copy of that poem, just drop me a line in the office; Branka has graced me with a digital copy). This morning I received the following follow-up email from Branka, and I'm sharing it with you with her permission.}

Dear First Christian Church Scottsdale,

I thank God for leading me to attend the morning service at your church on Feb 21st.

It was a joyful experience, and I felt tremendous love in your church.

Two ladies greeted me at the door and spoke to me with genuine kindness .

Your worship songs and Rev. Brian’s preaching about Compassion spoke to my heart.

Rev. Brian’s sermon about Compassion moved me to write a rhyme below:
“Violence, Terror and Injustice are designed in human fashion.
These get crashed with two everlasting hands of Love and Compassion.
Every heart with wings of Love and Compassion can fly and reach the heavenly sky.”

Let me share my refugee’s story with you :
In 1994 my family and I were forced to flee during Bosnian civil war. Among many others, we entered the road to UNKNOWN and were given unfavorable name ‘Refugees’. While on this road of exile, we were despised, unwelcomed and unwanted. The neighboring European countries overwhelmed with Bosnian refugees fortified and closed their borders to prevent us from entering. Our traveling documents were not valid because Yugoslavia dissolved and we were people with no country. It was God’s unfailing Grace (for believer and unbeliever) that we were blessed with Hope in midst of this chaos. We survived, because HOPE never departed from us, and because of Charity organizations’ help supported by people like you.

Nowadays, watching exodus of Syrian refugees brought my refugee memories back to me, and in spirit I was lead to walk on this painful refugee’s road one more time. The refugee’s road reminds me of Calvary road - you carry your own cross and people around you despise you, and people far away go about their daily business and forgot about you. One evening my Lord reminded me that my experience is not wasted, and that I need to speak on behalf of those who are walking on road of exile. I was inspired to write a poem “Refugee” (Witness) which I shared with you. (I plan to compete at Toastmasters International in April here in Virginia by recitation of this poem. I attached my poem and presentation).

Thank you for your kindness, thank you for listening to my reading, and please read it to others.

May my poem be edifying to you and anyone who hears it.

Blessings to all,
Branka

No comments:

Post a Comment