Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Even in the Darkest Times



It was at church camp two summers ago that our Middle Schoolers taught me a new song.

Now, I grew up at church camp and I was pretty sure that I knew all of the camp songs forwards and backwards, which is what makes the memory all the more special.

The song is based on words attributed to the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. and as we prepare for a worship service that will fall on Sunday September 11th, a full 15 years after the 9/11 terrorists attack against our country, the words of that song continue to call out to me.

Here is how it goes:

Darkness cannot drive out darkness,
tell everybody, woman and man,
that only Light can drive out darkness.
Only Light can. Only Light can.

And hate cannot drive out hate,
tell everybody, woman and man,
that only Love can drive out hate.
Only Love can. Only Love can.

You can be the change, 
you want to see.
You can be the cha-nge.
You can be the change,
you want to see.
You can be the cha-nge.

This Sunday I will tell the story of my own experiences of the September 11, 2001 attacks. I was in seminary at the time, living in Nashville which garnered its own share of national attention in the aftermath of the 9/11 attacks for a hatecrime that was perpetrated in the downtown business district. And yet, even in those darkest times I can testify (and I will on Sunday) that love still shines. 

I'll see you this Sunday as we worship together and seek to shine a little more light (and love) into the world. 

-----

1 Ti
mothy 1:12-17 Gratitude for Mercy


I am grateful to Christ Jesus our Lord, who has strengthened me, because he judged me faithful and appointed me to his service, even though I was formerly a blasphemer, a persecutor, and a man of violence. But I received mercy because I had acted ignorantly in unbelief,and the grace of our Lord overflowed for me with the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus. 

The saying is sure and worthy of full acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners—of whom I am the foremost. But for that very reason I received mercy, so that in me, as the foremost, Jesus Christ might display the utmost patience, making me an example to those who would come to believe in him for eternal life. 

To the King of the ages, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honour and glory for ever and ever.

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment