Thursday, November 17, 2016

Whiteboard: Thanksgiving



I try not to preach Henry stories very often.

The truth is, I could preach a story about my son every single Sunday, but that wouldn't really be fair to him...or to the Gospel for that matter!

But this Sunday I simply can't help myself. I'm going to start my sermon with a Henry story.

While I won't ruin it by telling the whole story here on the Blog, know that it involves my 10-year-old getting surprisingly animated about something a morning drive-time DJ said while I was dropping him off at school on a recent morning.

Oh, and know that it my Henry Story has everything to do with Thanksgiving...or for that matter, how easy it is for us to forget about it.

To pass it over.

To gloss over it.

To skip past giving thanks in the name of hurrying on to whatever so called important thing is next on our to do list.

This Sunday is Thanksgiving Sunday at the church, which means that we'll be carving out the time to do exactly what the Psalmist calls us to do: "Enter his gates with thanksgiving, and his courts with praise.Give thanks to him, bless his name."

This Sunday, let us do just that!

-------

Psalm 100 A Psalm of Thanksgiving

Make a joyful noise to the Lord, all the earth.
Worship the Lord with gladness;
come into his presence with singing.

Know that the Lord is God.
It is he that made us, and we are his;
we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture.

Enter his gates with thanksgiving,
and his courts with praise.
Give thanks to him, bless his name.

For the Lord is good;
his steadfast love endures for ever,
and his faithfulness to all generations.

No comments:

Post a Comment