Monday, March 16, 2009

I've been thinking about...

...My Wii Fit.

Don’t know what that is? It is a videogame system. Yes, that is right, your Interim Minister is thinking about Video Games. And don’t worry, it doesn’t mean that I don’t have plenty of other things to think about or that I don’t have plenty of work here in our interim time together to keep busy.

You see, the Wii Fit is a particular kind of video game system….one that actually uses your own body’s movements to control the characters on the tv screen as much as (honestly, more than) the mashing of buttons on some handheld controller.

It is the latest craze, and it is a lot of fun, and what’s more, it actually does what the name implies: It helps to keep you fit. As in, in shape and exercising. Which is just what I need, because I’m using this space to publicly commit to my own Lenten Devotional for the these next 40-days — I’m going to give up a significant chunk of my time every single day in order to workout. And the Wii Fit is going to help me!

Lenten Devotions are not a new thing. The tradition derives from Christ’s time of prayer and preparation in the wilderness before the start of his public ministry. But a more modern twist on the practice has been actually taking on something that is good for you over the forty days rather than just giving up a vice that is bad. Personally, I rotate year-by-year, giving up something one year and taking on something new the next year. This is a “taking on something new” year and I’ve decided it is going to be exercising every single day.

So what are you committed to for Lent? What will you be giving up, taking on, or working on during the next 40-days that you too might be prepared for the joyous celebration of Easter Sunday?

Yours in the Journey, Rev. Brian

No comments:

Post a Comment