Thursday, February 17, 2011

Newsbrief: Week of Compassion

For the next two Sundays you are going to hear me talk about Week of Compassion.

Week of Compassion is the relief, refugee and development mission fund of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) in the United States and Canada. It seeks to equip and empower disciples to alleviate the suffering of others through disaster response, humanitarian aid, sustainable development and the promotion of mission opportunities.

Week of Compassion formally kicks off this coming Sunday and wraps up the Sunday after. In worship we’ll share stories about the wonderful work that happens, quite literally, all over the world through Week of Compassion.

But before we get there I want to share my own personal connection to Week of Compassion. You see, the guiding hands at work leading Week of Compassion happen to be two friends of mine that I have known for a long, long time. I couldn’t be prouder of them and their work, and I couldn’t be more excited about supporting Week of Compassion because of them.

Amy Gopp is the Executive Director of Week of Compassion. We’ve known each other since my church camp days, our paths have intersected over and over again since then, and as a proud resident of Kent, Ohio (where I served a UCC congregation for 6 years before coming to Arizona) Amy was one of the last people I had coffee with before moving out West. Amy is a life-long Disciple, passionate advocate for peace and justice, an amazing preacher, and a true gift to our church.

Brandon Gilvin serves as the Associate Director of Week of Compassion. He is also one of my best friends from seminary and was a groomsman at my wedding. That’s right, Disciples-dom is a small world! Brandon has many remarkable gifts as a pastor and it has been a joy to see him land in a place where his passions, calling, and God-given abilities are all so fully put to use.

Week of Compassion is led by these two wonderful, committed Disciples pastors…and I’m not just saying that because they each have embarrassing photos of me from my younger days! I’m saying it because I’ve known Amy and Brandon for a very long time and I know just how seriously and faithfully they take the work of Week of Compassion. I’ll see you in church the next two Sundays as we share the stories, opportunities, and life-changing ministry that you support through Week of Compassion.

Yours in the Journey, Rev. Brian

No comments:

Post a Comment