Thursday, January 16, 2014

Whiteboard: MLK



It is MLK Weekend, and we'll be honoring the faithful witness and example of the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. this Sunday in our worship service.

For the first few years after Henry was born my family and I honored Dr. King on MLK Day by going out to a bookstore and picking up a children's book about Dr. King that my wife and I could read to our son (in more recent years as Henry has gotten bigger we've started showing him video clips of Dr. King's speeches and sermons in addition to reading his books).

This year in my sermon I'll be sharing excerpts from my favorite book of Henry's, one called Martin's Big Words. The book takes some of the words and phrases that were fundamental to Dr. King's work and uses them to challenge us to continue living out our faith and building the beloved community.

As such, the Whiteboard this week is a reflection one of Dr. King's better known quotes: "Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that."

Come join us this Sunday at FCC Scottsdale as we gather in worship to celebrate the light of God that we know through Jesus Christ and through those faithful disciples who shine in his name.

No comments:

Post a Comment